Make me rich!

Monday, July 16, 2012

Bring Your Husband To Work Day? (Language Alert)

WARNING: Rough language. If you aren't partial to F-bombs and the like, you might not want to read on.

Had a pretty good weekend.Woke up early Saturday morning to help with some lodge stuff. Basically just moved something around in my car. Everytime I'm ready to trade in my big fuel guzzling SUV, I put it to some use and then am happy with it until the next thing breaks. Saturday night the wife and I caught the tail end of the Port Washington parade and then crossed the street for some Baskin Robbins. I'm not sure exactly what Kelly got but it was some fudgy chocolatey gooey concoction that made me want to have a tub of it, followed by a gallon of milk and some geriatric surgery. It seems no matter where we go, she always seems to order the best thing on the menu. I've had years of order regret due to her.

Sunday was also fairly low key. I honestly completely forgot what I did until I just now asked my wife what the hell I did all day. She said I was on the computer the entire day, doing absolutely nothing. That's non nerd speak for CREATING THE MOST EPIC WIZARD OF DOOM EVAR! Ya, so I wasted the entire day spec'ing out my Friday night character. In truth, I actually did a ton of shit via the computer, but failing to remember what it actually was, I'm going with my wifes answer. So, the DnD char is a Arcanist Wizard (as opposed to an anarchist, very different) who can both control the battle and do a crap ton of damage. Pretty excited for friday, especially as my little brother will be joining us for his first DnD game.

On Sunday night, Kelly and I wen't out to dinner to Vincent's, across from Roosevelt Field mall. I've never seen the place (or any place outside of a Disney food court) so insanely packed before. Adding to the close confines and the noise, it was approximately eleventybillion (11ty,000,000,000) degrees in there. Absurd. Everyone in the restaurant with the exception of the wait staff were sweating profusely, making for the worst possible meal time environment ever. I'm convinced that the staff are aliens from an infernal sun like planet (such as Florida) who are trying to destroy humanity with uncomfortable eating environments and hot/humid summers.

So, this brings us to how LIPA sucks and should die. Kelly and I get home, both of us sick. I go up to the firehouse for about an hour, come home, and immediately before I go to bed, the power cuts out. This was possibly related to a small storm that went through over 2 hours previous to the outage. When the power cuts out, the AC does not work.  Strangely, this combination did not cause our environment to get any cooler. It was in fact, UPWARDS of eleventybillion degrees this time. And I was upset. So I have this to say:

FUCK YOU LIPA!

I say this, because every time the issue of putting the power lines underground, LIPA gives a different bullshit reason, everything to "it's impossible" to "there's no reason for it" to my favorite "it would cost our customers too much money". I respond with  the following: "Bullshit!". I find this to be all the argument needed. But if you, dear reader, need more:



  • Underground power lines are present in every major city with an infrastructure rating over that of a third world country (look it up). 
  • Power lines work on the universal theory of electricity delivery. This is Volts * Amps == Watts. Think of it as follows: Voltage is the electric equivalent of water pressure through a pipe. Amperage would be the flow rate with regards to friction (effects electricity too). Watts would be the total amount of water delivered for use. This is important because of the following.
  • When there is high electrical demand, LIPA chockes your voltage to reduce wear on the system, while leaving your amperage the same, this leads to a decrease in wattage, which can actually fry your system by giving the appliance just enough to struggle (causing wear and tear and short circuits and failures) as opposed to the amount needed.
  • The reason LIPA has to do this, is that when the lines are hot, they bleed efficiency as heat. When power lines are underground, they lose some to heat and cause the environment to be 20 degrees hotter than surface ambient temp. This is reasonable.
  • With above ground power lines, the amount of heat is unlimited, and even though well vented, it is directly exposed to the Sun as well as high ambient temperature. Here's a fun fact. When you fry an egg on a sidewalk, its not the ambient temperature that cooks it, its the heat which has been absorbed from the Sun. Hot power lines cause huge inefficiency. 
  • In the winter, when the Sun has less of a warming effect on power lines, the snow causes them to fall. Below ground lines cannot fall as they will not be weighed down by snow.
  • When power grids are strained, power lines sag. When they sag, they break, when they break, little kids pick them up. When little kids pick them up, they die.
  • If you look at a power line while it is arcing (a very common malfunction), you will feel you have sand in your eyes. Then you will go blind permanently. This is due to retinal scarring caused by the arc actually passing through you. Looking at power lines can be dangerous. 
  • LIPA is a monopoly. I can't say "fuck, lipa is really the epitome of corporate scum, i'm going to take my business elsewhere". They have more than enough money, and an obligation, to improve the infrastructure without screwing their customer slaves.
This concludes my rant on LIPA.

So, since I've gotten all of that out, and hopefully educated you, I will add this: My wife bakes cookies like Innuits build igoos, better than anyone else could ever hope to. Whatever she made Sunday is beyond comparison. Have her make some for you, because these are all ours.

Went to lunch today, did some programming work, and cleaned the kitchen. Was surprised to find that our gray cabinets were actually white covered in grime. Pretty exciting stuff. Sorry ladies, I'm taken.

Missed Kelly a ton today, mainly because she is exceptionally beautiful and she makes me smile. I'm attempting to convince her that tomorrow is "Take Your Husband To Work Day" but she's not buying it. Damn her goddess level intelligence. Oh well.

Tomorrow I have the great pleasure of getting scammed by NY States workers comp failure. I go to a doctor who was hired specifically by the insurance agency to tell me how hurt I am, and then document that I'm completely fine. Also, I think there might be a chance my lawyer sucks. I have to go to court on Monday, but I'm pretty sure that's what I pay him to do. Also, I've talked to him exactly once. When I call his office, the secretary refuses to put me through. Probably going to go with someone else. This guy just truly doesn't care.

Anyway, if you are reading these, post a comment or something. Either in reply or just to let me know I'm not typing to myself. Because that would be weird. And I'm completely normal.


Member of The Internet Defense League

1 comment:

Followers