The blogging whimsies of a nerd. Touching on delightful topics such as comics, video games, tv, p&p gaming, music, tech, and living a nerdy life. Also, journal style entries about myself and my experiences.
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Holy Tragedy Batman
So a lot has happened since my most recent blog entry.
Tuesday: I woke up bright and early so I could clean up the house before my Independent Medical Examination, ordered by the workers comp insurer. Not much to mention other than what would take Kelly all of 5 minutes to do takes me about 5 hours. That's one hour per efficient minute. I would be a failure as a maid.
My left leg was numb the entire way to the IME (which is somewhere in Garden City), which sucked because it had been the first time in a while. The Orthopedist who I am supposed to see operates out of a sleep apnea clinic. Super professional. So when I get there, I give my info to the secretary, fill out paperwork, and stand while waiting for my turn (usually when my back and leg are hurting, standing helps a bit). Almost immediately I'm called into the back, and shortly after the "Doctor" enters. He tells me to sit, so I ask if I can stand and explain. He says "so are you all better?". I say no. He says "what's wrong?". My back hurts...still. "Oh, ok. Well I don't wan't to bother you with a bunch of test, I'm just going to put you down for a _______(spoke way too fast in imaginary words)". He exits before I can protest. So, at least it's quick. Hope it doesn't screw my workers comp case.
Not sure if it was Tuesday night or not (this is the problem with delaying blog entries) but at some point I met up with Jeremy and Joel and discussed business. My writing made them laugh, and they were really pleased, but going forward I need to keep a closer eye on the fundamentals. Long story short, my writing has to include certain things to make it worth writing at all. Was nice to feel like I'm actually doing something productive.
Weds: Once again, due to waiting so long to post, I have NO idea what I did all day. I do know that later that night I hung out with Kelly and then heard there was a fire in Glenwood. Sea Cliff (my fire department) was called, but being that I'm still out on LODI (line of duty injury) I'm pretty much useless to them. Regardless, I wanted to at least check it out. Seemed to be a small fire in a 2 story private dwelling. As per a friend (who helped fight the fire, and saw much more than I could from outside), a storm had compromised the electrical service, causing fire to appear at the service entry and work its way throughout the house. I got there too late to actually see anything but I'm told it was a good quick stop by Glenwood and mutual aid units.
Didn't actually get to see anyone from my fd as they were leaving as I arrived, so I took a drive up to the firehouse to say hi. When I got up there, Bullet had my new gear for me. Felt like a kid on christmas. Everything needs to be broken in as I could literally stand up the bunker pants on their own right now, but I'm super happy to have it. Just hope I can be active once my back is healed up and justify the expense. Hung out with Bunce and Ciampi for a little while and then went home pretty early.
On a loosely related topic: I hate waste. I hate to see other peoples trust punished with waste. And I think that in order to take taxpayer money, you have to at least justify it with potential. This does not include quenching your thirst in foreign lands. Not very descriptive but those who need to understand will.
Thurs: I have no idea what I did Thursday. That's not terribly important though. What is important is that the events of Thursday night were sheer tragedy. In Aurora, Co, a pathetic (but not pitiful for I do not pity him) neon orange headed coward gunned down numerous innocents while they enjoyed the premier of The Dark Knight Rises. This scumbag used an American symbol of hope and justice as a weapon against those who desperately needed that hope. People had to watch their friends and family die, hear the cries of pain that very few of us are prepared to hear. For this I say the following: Fuck You James Holmes. Because you prey on the hopes of others, I wish I could have the opportunity to realize your fears and the pain that you perceive you have felt but have yet to truly experience. I would give so much to show you a glimmer of the misery you have inflicted on others. Lest this devolve into a hate filled rant, I will stimy my anger and leave it here.
If you are a first responder in any capacity, you should listen to the command tapes from the scene. Without judgement, I will say that it is complete mess. But this should not be an indictment of the officials, it should be a learning experience. Those men and women who responded to that scene were brave but most had not experienced anything like this. Even Columbine had more known factors. We can learn from their mistakes, and respect that they did what they could.
Now, for a matter of personal opinion (isn't this all personal opinion?). I would sooner die fighting than have to face a world in which I failed to act and attempt to preserve the life of those around me. This is why I'm a fireman and an EMT. It sure as hell isn't for the money. Now I don't look down upon those who don't act, because it isn't for everyone. It takes a lifestyle of feeling this way to truly be prepared for it. But I will say, that had this happened immediately post WW2 or 911, things would have gone differently. I personally feel that an overly developed sense of self preservation is bad for a nation. I'm not saying that those who don't act are cowardly, because when the bold fail, the others must make sure someone goes for more help. But keep this in mind: where would this country be if nobody were willing to risk their lives for freedom? Freedom from persecution, from taxation, from fear, from evil? We would be speaking the Queens English and drinking tea. George Washington would not be on our currency. The whole world would not have benefited from our actions.
Fri: Friday night we started our DnD campaign using the official Virtual table. Sadly Shawn wasn't able to join but after some tinkering with our computers, the rest of us were able to meet within the game system. Due to all the "tinkering" we did get to a late start, but once we got going, it was truly amazing. Kerchy set up a backstory which coincidentally fit perfectly with all of our origins (he had no prior knowledge of what we would be doing with our characters). We met in a seaside port villiage, and bonded over pints. Sadly, there was a kidnapping and we were the only people who could help. I'll be documenting the story of our adventures later, possibly in another blog. I'll let you know.
Sat: Saturday was a great day. Took a drive up to a gorgeous outdoor shopping area in Yonkers. It's hard to describe to non-Floridians (these things are common in Florida) but think of it as an outdoor mall. If you're from NY you might equate it to a nicer yet smaller version of Woodbury Commons Upstate. The weather could not have been better, which is a wonderful change of pace. Walked around a bit, spent some time in L.L. Bean (one of my favorites) and a few other stores. Way too much to process in one day so we'll have to go back soon. Had an early Birthday dinner at Texas de Brazil (the only location in NY!) which is my favorite place ever. Didn't think I'd ever see one again when I left Florida. As amazing as the day ways, I had a hard time sleeping. Thinking about the shooting and how unnecessary it was kept me up all night.
Sun: Had another great day with Kelly. Nothing really makes me quite as happy as having a good time with her. Sun night I wen't to see TDKR. About halfway through the movie, they swept our theater with a police officer and dog. You could see everyone who noticed visibly relax, myself included. On that note, I think a good solution to movie theater security might be to allow police officers with identification to view movies for free. Your capital output is minimal and your potential safety and crime deterrent capabilities are astronomical. Wondering who I can take this idea to. Anyway, the movie was insane, but at the risk of writing any spoilers, I will simply say that I loved it, I want to see it again, and I wish there would be another one.
Mon(again): Woke up early again (sick of waking up early). Drove to the Workers Compensation Board of NY location in Nassau County for my hearing. This place is as run down as a government building gets. Set at the foot of the Terrace Ave projects in Hempstead, and noticing that a couple of cars in the parking garage had broken windows, I decided not to leave much of value in my car. In contrast, this was probably the most efficient display of Governmental procedure I have ever witnessed. Within 15 minutes of my arrival (30 minutes early) the representative from the law firm I've retained met with me to discuss some things. I had been told I wouldn't need anything, but being that my Doctor hadn't sent any of the info to the lawyers office, Kelly had to bail me out by scanning and emailing a bunch of paperwork to me. God bless that woman...and technology. Without that paperwork, I'd have been completely cut off of any funds. The hearing went well, with some argument between the lawyers using made up words and abbreviations (these people have their own language). After a little while, I was briefly questioned, mainly to confirm that I wasn't seeking liability on any other party, and then released. My lawyer informed me that they are increasing my benefits to a terrible yet better number. This is probably the first hearing of a bunch so hopefully the can't increase the amount a little more. I truly just want to get back to work.
Kelly was sick and had stayed home. I wish she was feeling better but I will never complain about the chance to spend an extra day with her.
Today: Woke up at a reasonable hour and started vacuuming. Started on some programming studying and wrote this blog. Going to clean the sink and mirror in the back bathroom and see if I need to start anything for dinner. Typing on my new Das Keyboard (which is awesome if you are a nerd and appreciate quality) and using my new wireless mouse (courtesy of birthday checks) and generally enjoying life. Going to call the Doctors office again and see if Workers Comp has approved my 2nd epidural too. Looking forward to Thursday nights DnD game at Ravensblood. It will be the first time playing in this campaign since I joined it over a month ago.
Hopefully I'll be able to post again soon. Thanks to anyone who read this (and made it through this very lengthy post). I ask you to just keep those that died Thursday night in mind. Not that they deserve any more honor or respect than any other person who has passed away, but so as to remind us all of the evil that is out there and the necessity in triumphing over that evil. Thanks again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment